Friday 7 February 2014

Deeside Brewery

From http://iansaleadventures.blogspot.com/

After weeks of trying, I finally got an answer at the 11th hour this evening from Mike Bain, owner of Deeside Brewery, concerning tomorrow's planned brewery tour, advertised through The Times for Times + members.

The tour is not going ahead - apparently only 3 people expressed an interest. Not sure if this included me or not, but I had originally asked him if local CAMRA members could come along too, but he stressed tonight that it would have been restricted to Times + members only.

Mike told me they have now got involved with Let There Be Beer (http://www.lettherebebeer.com/) and a replacement event was planned with them at his Dusk bar in Aberdeen for the first weekend in March, but it seemed to me that this would primarily be a lesson in how to mix cocktails.

Mike then told me that he was going to "do a Brewdog" and go his own way - he wasn't interested in getting involved with CAMRA in any way, and wouldn't be reporting any news about his brewery or any new beers, and wasn't even interested in whether his brewery was mentioned in the GBG or not. He was friendly and pleasant to me personally, and told me I was welcome to come to the brewery any time, but I guess there is no job for me as BLO for Deeside now.

Craft/keg beers are the way for Deeside now, although they might do the occasional cask. We knew Deeside were heading this way anyway, but it seems strange to me for a fledgling business to snub CAMRA members this way. I guess they think if Brewdog can do it, so can they. Hope they don't regret this stance later.

No comments:

Post a Comment