Tuesday 1 March 2011

GBG/PotY time

From http://iansaleadventures.blogspot.com/

I completed all the Deeside pub surveys in time (just!) for the GBG selection/PotY voting at the Blue Lamp on Saturday. The last couple I had to do didn't involve me in any travelling - about 200 yards in the case of the Tor-na-Coille, which continues to surprise me with its ability to have the Stag on, in good condition, every time I pop in to what is still a very quiet hotel, with the new owners still working on their plans to bring the venue back to its former glory. I didn't think they would manage to keep the ale going, but, so far, their largely corporate and wedding clientele seems to be consuming it OK. I don't expect they'll ever want to attract a "pubby" crowd - the manager (Philip) was a little uncertain at first when I told him I was completing the GBG survey - he didn't seem to know what it was, and looked at me as if I were some sort of Egon Ronay character!

The other last minute survey I completed was at the other end of Banchory at Scott Skinner's, which a decade or so ago was by far the best pub in Deeside, but very poor ale quality in recent years saw it disappear from both my personal pub rota and also lose its regular entry in the GBG. Nowadays, I only return once a year for the GBG surveys. Fearing the worst, I ventured in last week and was pleasantly surprised - it looked a bit smarter and cleaner than my last few visits - the handpumps, in particular, were gleaming as if somebody had made a real effort with the elbow grease.

London Pride and Directors were on and I tried them both - and, you know what? - they were OK! There has been no change of ownership and I always thought a leopard could never change its spots, but perhaps I was wrong. I'll need to go back soon and try again - hopefully it wasn't a fluke.

So, after the match at Pittodrie on Saturday, it was, as I said, the GBG meeting at the Blue Lamp - my first time there for many years. Not my favourite, but I did get my first look at the Brewdog pub after the meeting as we all headed down to the Moorings for a decent beer. The former Marischal bar was pretty busy  and the relatively sparse decor obviously hadn't put anyone off - nor had the strength (and price) of the beers, nor the lack of any cask ales.

It was also my first time in Moorings for a couple of years - must make more effort to go there when I'm in Aberdeen in future.

Sunday was Murrayfield and we got there so early we couldn't get a drink! Apparently, local Edinburgh by-laws forbid the sale of alcohol before 12:30 pm - even on match days. We had the bizarre sight of packed pubs full of drinkers, 6 deep at the bar, sipping cups of coffee. I've heard the last bell often enough, but this, I think, was the first time I've heard the first bell - an almighty roar went up in the Teuchter bar. Edinburgh really needs to sort this one out - although I believe there were a couple of bars who somehow managed to get round this curfew.

Schiehallion, Landlord, Deuchar's and Dark Munro were the choices - all very good.

Today, it was the Elizabethan in Fraserburgh - I'd agreed on Saturday to do the required survey, so I contacted Raymond and asked if he'd be around - and he was. Young Pretender and Paddy's Tout (Wychwood) were on, and Raymond was in the process of preparing a new one on me - Doc Kennedy's Lipsmacker from Caledonian - a Lemon Ale apparently - not quite ready - need to go back in a day or two.

And here he is, with some of his 165 or so malts behind the bar:

No comments:

Post a Comment